Follow Me on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Reno, Nevada, United States
Wife of Michael and mother of Sophie and Sadie. Lover of all things food, creator of healthy and delicious eats. Enjoys good wine and great company. Advocate of health and fitness. Steeler Fan. Future cooking television personality (hey, it doesn't hurt to put your dreams out there!).

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Family Recipe: Corn Chowder, but it's really not chowder

Pin It

When I first started dating my husband he told me about Corn Chowder. It's one of his childhood favorites and to this day, he asks his mom to make it for his birthday. I remember the first time I had it, I was expecting Corn Chowder. You know, the soupy stuff that tastes good. This isn't chowder, or anything like soup. In fact, it's made with noodles, ground beef and corn, so I'm really not sure where the name came from. My mother in law learned this recipe when she was in girl scouts as a child. The original recipe was made using potatoes instead of noodles, but at some point my mother in law decided noodles were better. I haven't tried the potato version of Corn Chowder yet, I guess I am just such a fan of the dish as is. It's a very simple dish and requires just a few ingredients. I love this dish, because they are ingredients I always have on hand.

1 medium red onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 cups of water
8 ounces whole wheat or multigrain shell pasta
1 14 ounce can of corn drained

In a large pot sauté diced onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic, ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned, about 5 minutes Add can of tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, two cups of water and pasta shells. Cover with lid and cook on medium until noodles are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in corn and serve.

***Serves 4. Approx 454 calories and 9.5 grams of fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment