Follow Me on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Reno, Nevada, United States
Wife of Michael and mother of Sophie and Sadie. Lover of all things food, creator of healthy and delicious eats. Enjoys good wine and great company. Advocate of health and fitness. Steeler Fan. Future cooking television personality (hey, it doesn't hurt to put your dreams out there!).

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Low Carb Pizza

Pin It



 Yesterday a friend of mine asked me to create a no carb pizza. To be honest I was a little bit stumped. The only no carb "pizza" I had made before was with portabella mushrooms, and although tasty, it is really just a stuffed portabella. This morning another friend of mine told me about a cauliflower crust. How awesome I thought! So I started researching recipes and found a cauliflower crust. When I was researching no carb pizza crusts I also came across a "meatza" crust, which is made with cooked food processed chicken breasts. I absolutely love pizza loaded with veggies, so I thought making a hybrid between the cauliflower crust and "meatza" crust would be a great way to get some added protein. For the sauce on this pizza I made a low cal pesto, since most marina sauces contain carbs.

So, here it is Kate! While it isn't no carb, it only has 4 carbs per slice. I don't know much about low carb diets, but I imagine this falls within the allotted amount of daily carbs.

**A thanks to Aspen for giving me the idea for a cauliflower crust!

Crust

1 1/2 cups cauliflower (food processed or grated with a cheese grater until very fine)

8 ounces cooked chicken breast (food processed)

5 egg whites

1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese

1 tsp salt

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

In a microwave safe bowl heat cauliflower for 8 minutes. Combine all ingredients and mix using your hand or a wooden spoon. Use cooking spray to coat bottom of pizza pan. Press contents out to form pizza crust. Bakeat 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Low Fat Pesto

1 cup packed basil leaves

1/4 raw almonds

1 garlic clove

2 tbsp chicken stock

Blend all ingredients in food processor.

Topping

1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese

1/4 reduced fat feta cheese

1/2 cup artichoke hearts

1/2 cup raw spinach

1/2 sliced baby bella mushrooms

5 dices kalamata olives

Top your pizza crust with pesto and all topping ingredients. A good trick is to put half the cheese down first, then your veggies and then finish off with the remainder of the cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 minutes.

Cut in to 8 slices.
175 calories, 6.5 grams of fat and 4 carbs per slice

No comments:

Post a Comment