Follow Me on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Reno, Nevada, United States
Wife of Michael and mother of Sophie and Sadie. Lover of all things food, creator of healthy and delicious eats. Enjoys good wine and great company. Advocate of health and fitness. Steeler Fan. Future cooking television personality (hey, it doesn't hurt to put your dreams out there!).

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Green Goodness Chilled Summer Soup

Pin It
Yesterday my husband went to Costco to pick up some dog food. While he was out he asked me if I needed anything. I told him I needed romaine lettuce for the burrito bowls I was making. I knew that the quantity of romaine would be large, since it was coming from Costco. I was thinking three heads of romaine... well the package came with six! I hate wasting food and thought, oh my, what am I going to do with all this lettuce. It's just the two of us, so six heads of romaine lettuce is a lot! Well, I ended up using one head last night, so that left me with five. I know I could make salad, but five heads of lettuce basically means we'd be eating salad for five days. Not my idea of fun! I was poking around the kitchen for some lunch today and noticed I had a parsnip, a jalepeno pepper, 1/2 avocado and some cauliflower that also needed to be used. That's where I got the idea for a chilled soup. It's perfect on a hot summer day and makes a great addition to any meal, not to mention it is loaded with healthy veggies. It is also super quick and easy to make.

Green Goodness Chilled Summer Soup
4 cups vegetable stock
1 white onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
3/4 cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 of a peeled and chopped parsnip
2 heads chopped romaine lettuce
1 cored and chopped green apple
1/2 of an avocado
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp sat
1/2 tsp pepper

Coat a saute pan with a small amount of non stick cooking spray. Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper for 3 minutes. Add cauliflower, parsnip and one cup of vegatable stock. Cook until the parsnip and cauliflower are tender (about 8 minutes).

In a blender add the two chopped romaine heads and 2 cups of vegetable stock. Blend until the lettuce is liquified. Next add the cooked veggie mix (onions, garlic, jalapeno, cauliflower, parsnip). Blend until smooth. Lastly add your chopped apple, 1/2 and avocado, 1/4 cup of cilantro, salt, pepper juice of 1/2 lemon
and 1 cup vegetable stock. Blend until smooth. Chill for 1 hour and serve.

Yields 4 sevings 145 calories, 4 grams of fat

No comments:

Post a Comment