Follow Me on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Reno, Nevada, United States
Wife of Michael and mother of Sophie and Sadie. Lover of all things food, creator of healthy and delicious eats. Enjoys good wine and great company. Advocate of health and fitness. Steeler Fan. Future cooking television personality (hey, it doesn't hurt to put your dreams out there!).

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sweet Potato, Carrot and Blueberry Pancakes

Pin It

If you have children and are anything like me you are constantly trying to provide the best foods possible for them. I've always made my own baby food and love providing Sophie with variety and new flavors. I may have created a monster though. Sophie has quite the sophisticated palate. It's nearly impossible for me to get her to eat bland foods. If I cube up veggies and present them to her, she literally turns her nose up to them. However, if I puree some veggies like squash and sweet potatoes with lentils and curry powder, she scarfs them down and begs for more. I can't complain, I like having a little baby gourmet, it's one of those times where I see a lot of myself in Sophie. The other day, she seriously ate clam chowder. And the day after that, Asian style noodles. She eats a lot of what Mike and I eat, which is nice. This morning I woke up and decided to make some pancakes. My goal was to sneak in some vegetables and wholesome goodness. Total success, by the way. I ended up making Sweet Potato, Carrot and Blueberry pancakes with whole wheat flour and bran flakes. They were seriously delicious and Sophie enjoyed them. I made a good sized batch and decided to freeze some for Sophie to eat throughout the week.


  • 1 half sweet potato, peeled and grated
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup bran
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla


  • In a small sauce pan melt butter and slowly sauté sweet potato, carrots and blueberries. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl combine all remaining ingredients and whisk together. Add in the sweet potatoes, carrots and blueberries. Stir with a spoon. Cook pancakes on a griddle or pan until golden on each side.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment